- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds (white, black or a mix)
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 500g peeled and deveined raw shrimp (21-25 )
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Whisk sesame seeds, egg whites, cornstarch, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the shrimp and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the rest of the shrimp.
- Add orange juice, sherry, soy sauce and sugar to the pan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and reduced by half, 4 to 6 minutes. Return the shrimp to the pan and stir to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately, with scallion sprinkled on top.