- 1 cup prepared low-sodium marinara sauce
- 4 small eggplants
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced into 12 pieces
- ¼ cup prepared pesto
- ½ cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Prep: 25 m
Ready In 1 h 20 m
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread sauce in a 9-by-13-inch broiler-safe baking dish. Make crosswise cuts every ¼ inch along each eggplant, slicing almost to the bottom but not all the way through. Carefully transfer the eggplants to the baking dish. Gently fan them to open the cuts wider. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over the eggplants. Fill the cuts alternately with mozzarella and pesto (some cuts may not be filled). Cover with foil.
- Bake until the eggplants are very tender, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Combine panko, Parmesan and the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a small bowl. Remove the foil and sprinkle the eggplants with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil. Broil the eggplants on the center rack until the topping is golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Top with basil. Serve with the sauce.
- Serving size: 1 eggplant & ¼ cup sauce
- Per serving: 349 calories; 23 g fat(7 g sat); 7 g fiber; 24 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 47 mcg folate; 25 mg cholesterol; 9 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 486 IU vitamin A; 8 mg vitamin C; 382 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 405 mg sodium; 530 mg potassium