- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 cups peeled, diced butternut squash (about 1 small squash)
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (4 medium carrots)
- ¾ cup thinly sliced leeks or chopped onion
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- In a large saucepan over medium heat melt butter or margarine. Add squash, carrots, and leeks or onion to pan. Cook , covered, for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Place one-third of the squash mixture in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover; process or blend until almost smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture. Return mixture to saucepan. Add white pepper and nutmeg. Bring just to boiling. Add half-and-half or light cream; heat through. Ladle into soup bowls. If desired, garnish with fresh tarragon.